About Me

My photo
Lansing, Michigan, United States
I am a Lansing townie, lawyer, and restaurant reviewer for the City Pulse. I love traveling, reading, yoga, and baking, but my favorite hobby is stuffing my face.

Thursday, December 12, 2013

Meatball Submarine Sandwiches for MSU

For several days leading up to last Saturday's MSU v. OSU showdown for all the roses, the boyfriend had been talking about meatball subs. This isn't anything to write home about, considering the fact that his honest-to-goodness favorite food is sandwiches, but it got me thinking. I'd never had a meatball sub.

I started to look for a great recipe. I didn't want anything that was "healthified." These sandwiches were indulgent, as I intended them to be. I'd only made meatballs a few times before, so I needed clear step-by-step instructions. Smitten Kitchen came through, as it does so frequently. Truth told, the caramelized onions were what sold me.

I spent much of the afternoon in the kitchen, mixing together my ground chuck and some of the ground venison that my hunter brought back from deer camp last week. I carefully browned my meatballs in my beloved Caribbean Blue Le Creuset Dutch oven.
After simmering the meatballs later that evening, I assembled the sandwiches as he tuned into the football game. Anticipation was running high for both of us.
Under the broiler. My mouth watering.
The oversize, juicy meatballs were stuffed into the sandwich roll and smothered in sweet, tangy onions and bubbling gruyere. If this is what a meatball sub is, I ain't been living right. They'll take you a while to make, but the sandwiches are worth it. Especially if you're tucked inside on a cold, blustery Saturday night, watching your team win their game.



No comments: