About Me

My photo
Lansing, Michigan, United States
I am a Lansing townie, lawyer, and restaurant reviewer for the City Pulse. I love traveling, reading, yoga, and baking, but my favorite hobby is stuffing my face.

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Brody Cafeteria, Michigan State University

Eating lunch at the newly renovated cafeteria in the Brody complex at MSU has been on my radar for quite a while. I tried to entice my MSU undergrad cousin to have lunch there a few weeks ago, but he told me that he was too cool to be seen dining amongst a bunch of dorm-dwellers.
I saw his dance moves at a wedding last weekend. It's a pretty bold statement for him to make that he's "too cool" for something.

Anyway, I finally got my chance to eat at Brody today and it was remarkable. I didn't photograph anything because I was busy stuffing my face and swiveling my head around rapidly trying to figure out where to go next. Here's the scoop:

We paid $9.50 per person for lunch. For this low low price, you get to eat as much as you want.
There are several different "restaurants" within the cafeteria. There is a salad bar, a Mexican place, an Italian counter, a counter where you can order a stir-fry a la Mongolian BBQ, sushi (which I wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole because California rolls are stupid), and a few others.

But first, I started with a salad. The salad bar thankfully offered a good spring mix. I can't abide iceberg lettuce. I covered that with cucumber slices, chickpeas, crumbled hard-boiled egg, and a little balsamic vinaigrette. I had a scoop of tabbouleh on the side. After I scarfed that with a ginger ale on the side, I went to the Homestyle Counter. I had collard greens with ham, baked beans, mashed potatoes, and rotisserie chicken. The collard greens were the best part- nice and spicy. I have a real thing for collard greens.

Friend had a slice of pizza. She said it was better than Pizza Hut. It looked good and everything, but Pizza Hut is delicious and I'm not sure if she has her head screwed on properly. After we stuffed our faces, we decided to finish ourselves off with ice cream. There is a whole dessert section, complete with cake, smoothies, Rice Krispie treats, and an entire hand-dipped ice cream section. I had a scoop of cake batter and a scoop of some peanut butter concoction.

They also have breakfast. Made to order omelets. I might have to go back tomorrow. COLLEGE!

3 comments:

Elisabeth said...

Are they open on the weekend? Jim wants to go when we're in for Kitty's wedding.

GCJ said...

Great idea! Yes, they're open on weekends, I will make sure I have the hours for you.

Anonymous said...

Agreed--I am totally impressed with the campus cafeterias. Things have sure changed since I was in school!