About Me

My photo
Lansing, Michigan, United States
I am a Lansing townie, lawyer, and restaurant reviewer for the City Pulse. I love traveling, reading, yoga, and baking, but my favorite hobby is stuffing my face.

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Food Reads

I love to write about food, so it stands to reason that I love to read about it. Some of my favorite food books are:

Blood, Bones, and Butter by Gabrielle Hamilton. Who would think that a chef could write like that.

My Life in France by Julia Child. "I had come to the conclusion that I must really be French, only no one had ever informed me of this fact. I loved the people, the food, the lay of the land, the civilized atmosphere, and the generous pace of life."

Born Round by Frank Bruni. Poor little fatso. Also, he spent some time in Detroit, which he writes about.

Life, On the Line by Grant Achatz. Achatz is the chef at Chicago's Alinea and Next, and is featured in this trailer for the new menu at Next. I die of the coolness.

What are your favorite food books?
Last weekend we ate dark chocolate birthday cake.
There is news of Detroit-area eating afoot this week.

There are new places to eat in Midtown.

GQ wants us to eat like chefs.

The Fenton Fire Hall is open, and remarkable (and yes, it's a little far from the D, but c'est la vie.)

Joe Biden went to the auto show, then had veal parmesan.

To counteract the cake, I ate a big salad.

No comments: