About Me

My photo
Lansing, Michigan, United States
I am a Lansing townie, lawyer, and restaurant reviewer for the City Pulse. I love traveling, reading, yoga, and baking, but my favorite hobby is stuffing my face.

Monday, April 4, 2011

Mongolian BBQ Hell

A few weeks ago, my brother and I were trying to decide on where to meet for dinner. He lives in Perry and was unwilling to drive into Lansing, so he suggested all the crap chain restaurants near the Meridian Mall. I vetoed Chili's, Outback, and Olive Garden, and he has already had his yearly sushi roll, so Maru was out. I struck an agreement when I suggested Mongolian BBQ. I wanted to eat something relatively healthy, and he wanted me to pay, so BBQ it was.

I spent many afternoons in college at Mongolian BBQ. I couldn't cook, so my friend and I would go at least once a week to pay $15 for the most basic of lunches- stir fry. I understand that a lot of people go for the "experience," which to me is ridiculous. If they would serve the food to me at my table without requiring me to go watch the grillers sing and ring that God forsaken bell, I would be just as happy.

Anyway.

I was happy to see duck as one of the options. I was happy to see tofu. I was not happy to see krab. I loaded up my bowl with the above-mentioned duck and about three times as many green vegetables, then dumped on some lemon pepper and called it good. I asked for brown rice instead of the ubiquitous white, and while I was finally given brown rice, it took about ten minutes. We were also, apparently, there on sorority night. My ears will never be the same.

I like stiry fry, and I understand the premise of the restaurant. What I don't understand is why watching college kids slap your food around with giant metal rods is entertainment.

No comments: