About Me

My photo
Lansing, Michigan, United States
I am a Lansing townie, lawyer, and restaurant reviewer for the City Pulse. I love traveling, reading, yoga, and baking, but my favorite hobby is stuffing my face.

Monday, February 17, 2014

Tiramisu, Conquered

Remember that 2014 food goal of mine, to learn to make tiramisu? I did it.
I used the recipe from the Silver Spoon Cookbook and pulled the dessert together early on a Sunday for that evening's birthday dinner. The ladyfingers (I used crunchy ones) had the whole afternoon to soak up the mascarpone cream and coffee.

By dinnertime, it was perfect. It didn't hold its shape particularly well, but all of the eaters gobbled it up and told me to pack up a container for them to take the leftovers home.

The boyfriend and I ate leftover mascarpone cream for the rest of the week. It is a decadent stand-alone pudding.

Tiramisu
INGREDIENTS
  • 2 eggs whites
  • 4 egg yolks
  • 1 1/4 cups confectioner’s sugar
  • 1 3/4 cups mascarpone cheese
  • 7 ounces ladyfingers
  • 3/4 cup freshly brewed extra strong coffee, cooled
  • 7 ounces semisweet chocolate, grated (this is a TON of chocolate. I only used about 4 ounces because my dish was overflowing.)
  • Unsweetened cocoa powder, for dusting
INSTRUCTIONS
Stiffly whisk the egg whites in a grease-free bowl. Beat the egg yolks with the sugar in another bowl until pale and fluffy. Gently fold in the mascarpone, then the egg whites. Make a layer of ladyfingers on the base of a deep, rectangular serving dish and brush them evenly with coffee. Cover with a layer of the mascarpone cream and sprinkle with a little grated chocolate. Continue making layers until all the ingredients are used, ending with a layer of mascarpone cream. Dust with cocoa and chill in the refrigerator for about 3 hours.

No comments: