About Me

My photo
Lansing, Michigan, United States
I am a Lansing townie, lawyer, and restaurant reviewer for the City Pulse. I love traveling, reading, yoga, and baking, but my favorite hobby is stuffing my face.

Monday, February 10, 2014

Chicken and Dumplings, Spicy Beans and Wilted Greens

I've been killing it in my "cook one recipe from Bon Appetit each month" goal, one of my 2014 food goals. February's issue is all about modern comfort food and features soups and stews, which you really need if you're in Michigan in February.

Last week I made the cover recipe, chicken and dumplings with mushrooms. I left the mushrooms out, because the boyfriend doesn't like them.
It was underwhelming. Because there is bacon in the stew, the broth takes on a brown hue. That's not how we have done chicken and dumplings in my mom's kitchen and it threw me. Nevertheless, now I know how to make dumplings!

I also made the spicy beans with wilted greens stew.
I loved this, so I've posted the recipe below. I used Great Northern beans and threw in an entire bunch of torn kale, a bag of spinach, and two bunches of watercress. I have a slight preoccupation with making sure I get my leafy greens.

I made the stew again last night to freeze. I used navy beans and mustard greens this time, and put in a lot more salt than last time. If you're looking for an uber healthy vegetarian meal, you should bookmark this one. Yes, use the anchovies, and the resulting aroma will make you want to actually get into your soup pot.

INGREDIENTS

  • ¼ cup plus 1 Tbsp. olive oil, plus more for drizzling
  • 4 anchovy fillets packed in oil, drained (optional)
  • 4 chiles de árbol or 1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
  • 4 cloves garlic thinly sliced
  • 1 large onion, thinly sliced
  • 4 celery stalks, finely chopped
  • 1 sprig rosemary (I used 3, and fished the stems out after the stew simmered for 3 hours)
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 Parmesan rind (optional), plus shaved Parmesan for serving (I skipped this)
  • 1 pound dried white beans or chickpeas, soaked overnight, drained
  • 1 bunch kale or mustard greens, ribs and stems removed, leaves coarsely chopped
  • 1 bunch large flat-leaf spinach, trimmed, coarsely chopped
  • 4 cups trimmed arugula or watercress, divided
  • 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

Nutritional Information

Calories (kcal) 1030 Fat (g) 76 Saturated Fat (g) 11 Cholesterol (mg) 15 Carbohydrates (g) 85 Dietary Fiber (g) 24 Total Sugars (g) 11 Protein (g) 26 Sodium (mg) 1730

PREPARATION

  • Heat ¼ cup oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook anchovies, if using, chiles, and garlic, stirring occasionally, until garlic is soft and anchovies are dissolved, about 4 minutes. Add onion, celery, and rosemary; season with salt and pepper. Increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is very soft and golden brown, 8–10 minutes.
  • Add Parmesan rind, if using, beans, and 10 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally and adding more water as needed, until beans are beginning to fall apart, 3–4 hours.
  • Lightly crush some beans to give stew a creamy consistency. Mix in kale, spinach, and half of arugula; season with salt and pepper. Cook until greens are wilted, 5–8 minutes.
  • Toss remaining arugula with lemon juice and 1 Tbsp. oil; season with salt and pepper. Divide stew among bowls; top with arugula, shaved Parmesan, and a drizzle of oil.

 

No comments: