About Me

My photo
Lansing, Michigan, United States
I am a Lansing townie, lawyer, and restaurant reviewer for the City Pulse. I love traveling, reading, yoga, and baking, but my favorite hobby is stuffing my face.

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

The Root, Part Two

Several weeks after my birthday dinner, it was time for me to head back to The Root for round 2. This time I was alone. I left work on a Tuesday evening and drove down the street to the strip mall in which one of Oakland County's best restaurants is oddly situated. I requested an outside table and sat, enjoying my Bon Appetit magazine and the conversations of people around me. I'm an eavesdropper, and I don't care who knows it.

This time, I started again with the scallops. They're too good. 


I just don't understand that white bean puree. It's got the consistency of hummus and lacks flavor. Maybe it's just there to anchor the dish and provide a little texture to the plate? In that case, job well done.

I followed my scallops with the watermelon salad.


Peppery greens, blue cheese (which I requested instead of feta, my mortal enemy), paper-thin radishes, pickled onions, sesame seeds. All my old friends. I felt so sophisticated, sitting and enjoying dinner alone. Eating a watermelon salad, no less, and savoring every bite. Then I dropped a bite of buttered bread butter-size down on my skirt and lost my whole attitude.

No comments: