About Me

My photo
Lansing, Michigan, United States
I am a Lansing townie, lawyer, and restaurant reviewer for the City Pulse. I love traveling, reading, yoga, and baking, but my favorite hobby is stuffing my face.

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Omi Sushi

Yesterday was Good Friday and I sent the early afternoon with a classmate of mine at a long mass. After mass (well, halfway through mass actually) my stomach was growling. I usually like to stuff my face as close to noon as possible because I'm STARVING three hours after I eat my oatmeal, so waiting until 2:30 was a struggle. Immediately after leaving church we headed down MAC Avenue to Omi Sushi.

It had been several years since I'd been to Omi. I distinctly remember the last time I went there- I was with a friend of mine who is no longer a friend of mine (I'm in high school, hello) and I had just started eating sushi, so I didn't really have any idea what I was doing. I thought it was good. I guess. This time I wasn't such an easier customer and I didn't think Omi was any good.

I ordered some special lunch combo that came with a spicy tuna roll and a spicy salmon roll. What I really wanted was a huge order of salmon sashimi, but I didn't even see sashimi on the menu. They also don't have club soda, which always frosts my cookies.

I ate the salad and the miso soup. Meh. I ate the edamame that I ordered. It was edamame. The rolls were disappointing. The rice was especially tacky and there was no real discernible difference between the tuna and the salmon. However, I scarfed everything down because I was so dang hungry. I actually stopped myself mid-pig out and said to my friend "I feel like I'm eating this too quickly, and I can't stop." I ate more wasabi than I ever have in an attempt to add some flavor to the otherwise bland sushi, and now the tip of my tongue is  a little uncomfortable.

After we ate, we sat at our table with out (perpetually empty) water glasses to chat. The waitress asked us no less than three times if we needed anything else and then hovered until I felt so uncomfortable that I thought we should leave. So we left.

A word to you raw fish lovers out there- if you're in a sushi emergency in downtown East Lansing, Sushi Ya a little further down Grand River is a better bet. Of course, Maru remains my favorite.

No comments: