About Me

My photo
Lansing, Michigan, United States
I am a Lansing townie, lawyer, and restaurant reviewer for the City Pulse. I love traveling, reading, yoga, and baking, but my favorite hobby is stuffing my face.

Friday, November 7, 2014

August Bon Appetit- Rosa's Biscuits

If there is something more delicious than a buttermilk biscuit, clue me in. They're a vehicle for delicious things- butter, honey, jam, apple butter, eggs- and alone, they're still a knockout.

A few months ago, I made these little biscuits.


We ate them with How Sweet Eats' chicken meatball soup, and the next morning I ate them with American Spoon Sour Cherry Spoon Fruit, alongside my coffee. That spoon fruit is a delicious, tart treat. It's made in Michigan and would be an excellent stocking stuffer for me anyone who loves delicious treat.


INGREDIENTS

  • cups all-purpose flour
  • ¾ cup sugar
  • teaspoons baking powder
  • teaspoons kosher salt, plus more
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces; plus 6 Tbsp. (¾ stick), melted
  • ¾ cup chilled buttermilk   
Preheat oven to 350°. Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, and 1½ tsp. salt in a large bowl. Add chilled butter and toss to coat. Work butter into flour mixture with your fingers until mixture resembles coarse meal with several pea-size pieces of butter remaining.
Using a fork, gently mix in buttermilk, then gently knead just until dough comes together (do not overmix).
Pinch off pieces of dough and gently roll into 1” balls; place on 2 parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing 2” apart (you should have about 24). If butter softens too much while you are working, chill dough until firm before baking, 15–20 minutes.
Bake biscuits until golden brown, 25–30 minutes. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with more salt. Serve warm. 

No comments: