About Me

My photo
Lansing, Michigan, United States
I am a Lansing townie, lawyer, and restaurant reviewer for the City Pulse. I love traveling, reading, yoga, and baking, but my favorite hobby is stuffing my face.

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Iorio Italian Ice in the Lansing City Market



I've been lazy. I regret the error.

Temperatures here in mid-Michigan have been manageable for the last few weeks, but we had a stretch a while ago that was hot. As in, sit in the dark in your living room, shades drawn, window air conditioning unit dangerously over-used, hot. I don't do well in that type of weather. I don't like it, I don't support it, I don't endorse it.

A few weeks ago on one of these days I had a flash of remembrance- there's an Italian ice shop in the City Market! They have gelato! I'm not usually a huge ice cream eater (I prefer to ingest my calories through cake and Nutella), but I thought that gelato would hit the spot. I made my way to the market and found the gelato counter.

It was on. Since that fateful day, I have made multiple trips to the market. I ignore the fresh produce stacked up- the sweet corn, the peaches, the tomatoes- everything I usually gobble up happily, and I head to the gelato. I've had chocolate mint, Turkish coffee, and peach. I've had dark chocolate chipotle (delicious), coconut, lavender honey. I can't stop. I get a small gelato and, invariably, eat the entire thing before I leave the parking lot. It is just so good.

Today I had a combination of tiramisu and chocolate mousse, and I think it was the best yet. I also filled up my punch card, which means that I will be back to Iorio's before this week is over.

*The City Market has weird hours. Make sure that you check this out before you head over there.

*Head over there immediately.

No comments: